*This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Twitter has grown into one of the most used social media outlets in the world. However, it is not uncommon for people to grow tired of the constant notifications and wish to delete their twitter account. Whatever your reason you want to remove yourself from Twitter, here is how to delete your Twitter account.
How to Delete Twitter Account on Computer
- Go to twitter.com and sign in to your account.
- Go to Account settings and click Deactivate account.
- Read the information about deactivating your account. If you are OK with everything, select Okay, fine, deactivate my account.
- Type in your password and click the Deactivate my account button to confirm the deletion of your account.
How to Delete Twitter Account on Mobile
- Open up your phone’s browser and go to twitter.com.
- Tap the login button and enter in your account information.
- In the settings page of your mobile browser, check the Request desktop site button
- Go to the Account settings page and click on deactivate my account.
- Read the details about deactivating your account, then tap Okay, fine, deactivate my account button.
- Uncheck the Request desktop site box in your mobile browser.
Once you go through these steps, your account will be removed within a few minutes. However, Twitter retains all of your information for your account for 30 days. After those 30 days, Twitter begins deleting all of your account information from their servers and can take up to a week to do so.
If you change your mind about deleting your account, make sure you request a reactivation before that 30 day period ends.
If you want to use your username on a different account, you need to change the username and email address of your account before you deactivate your account. Go to your account’s settings page and click choose a new username in the username field and click change your email address and change it to another email that you own. Make sure that you own the email address that you just changed it to so you can confirm the email they send you! After the process of changing your username and password, go through the steps of deactivating your account that are listed above and you are all set!