Since Microsoft dropped support for IE in 2016, the software is vulnerable to newer malware. You cannot technically uninstall it, but disabling it will prevent it from accessing the other systems in your PC. This article will show you how to uninstall Internet Explorer from Windows 10, 8 and 7.
How to Uninstall Internet Explorer for Windows 8 and 10
The following steps will show you how to disable Internet Explorer from Windows 8 and 10. Make sure you have another browser installed before you disable this one:
1. Right-click the ‘Start‘ button or hold down the ‘Windows’ key and press X on your keyboard. This will open the Start Menu.
2. Select ‘Programs and Features‘ at the top of the menu.
3. Select the ‘Turn Windows Features On of Off‘ menu toward the top left corner of the the window.
4. Check the box beside Internet Explorer to toggle it off.
5. Click ‘Yes’ in the pop-up warning.
6. Click ‘Okay‘ to trigger the disabling process. You may need to wait a few minutes.
7. Press on ‘Restart Now’. Once restarted, Internet Explorer will be disabled on your PC.
How to Uninstall Internet Explorer for Windows 7
In Windows 7 you are able to select ‘Uninstall’ for Internet Explorer, but what your computer does is a disabling function rather than a true uninstall. Again, make sure you have another browser installed before disabling this one!
1. Click the ‘Start’ button or press the ‘Windows’ key to open the Start Menu.
2. Search for ‘Programs and Features‘ in the search bar at the bottom of the Start Menu.
3. Click on the Programs and Features item that appears.
4. Select ‘View installed updates’ toward the top left of the ‘Programs and Features’ window.
5. Scroll down to the ‘Microsoft Windows‘ section heading.
6. Select ‘Internet Explorer‘ from below this heading. If you can’t find it, type ‘Internet Explorer’ into the search bar at the top right.
6. Click ‘Uninstall‘ in the bar toward the top of the window.
7. Click ‘Yes‘ when prompted by the pop-up window.
8. Press ‘Restart Now‘. Once your computer restarts, Internet Explorer will be disabled.
You have now blocked programs on your PC from accessing or opening Internet Explorer. Some programs such as Microsoft Visual Studio can still try to access Internet Explorer, so be cautious! If you need specific assistance or have concerns, you can get support at https://support.microsoft.com/.