If you ever get tired of using TeamViewer as your primary remote desktop app, then you might want to consider using a TeamViewer alternative. There are many products on the market that can help you take advantage of the remote control desktop technology, some of them being more professional, easier to use, and more secure than TeamViewer.
Why a TeamViewer Alternative?
As a remote control desktop application, TeamViewer was and is considered one of the best solutions on the market. Sleek, easy to use and to install, TeamViewer is basically an all-in-one solution when it comes to mobility.
You can use TeamViewer to work in multiple work environments including Macs, PCs, and mobile devices. Probably the best thing about TeamViewer is that you don’t need to do any additional tweaking in order to start using it. Just let your peer know your password and you’re all set to start working on their remote desktop.
However, we cannot move on with our TeamViewer alternative suggestions without discussing the recent scandal, featuring TeamViewer smack in the middle.
Now, we can’t say for sure whether the latest rumors about user’s accounts being hacked have discredited the company up to the point where users prefer to use remote access software from other companies. But for whatever reasons, customers have begun to seek TeamViewer alternatives, to the discontent of the company.
Luckily we did our homework and found out some of the hottest remote desktop app. So, without further ado, here’s the rundown of our top ten TeamViewer competitors.
1. Microsoft Remote Desktop App
Probably the simplest way to get instant remote access to another desktop across the Internet is to use Microsoft’s remote desktop application. It’s free to use, and you can download it directly from Microsoft’s store.
Although this application is very powerful and versatile, it lacks cross-platform support. Currently, Microsoft Remote Desktop can be run on Windows 10, Windows Phone, Windows 8.1, Windows Phone 8.1, Windows 10 mobile, and the all-new Windows Holographic.
This TeamViewer alternative can be used to perform the following actions:
- Access remote PCs or mobile devices. You can also access machines running lower versions of Windows.
- Access remote resources posted by the admin;
- Stream music and videos;
- Play games;
- Perform remote maintenance;
- Initiate video and audio conferences;
Microsoft Remote Desktop operates under the usual remote desktop protocol, and, as of now, support the RemoteFX technology, which allows the clients to use Windows gestures across a remote connection. Check out this Microsoft Support page on how to use their Remote Desktop Application for more details.
- Easy to Install;
- Easy to use;
- Can work across multiple environments;
- You can initiate conferences;
- Supports touch multi-gestures.
- Local drives can’t be shared;
- You can’t duplicate documents in Windows Explorer;
- Resolution is hard to control;
- Frequent crash and freeze issues.
2. Splashtop Remote Desktop
Splashtop RD is an alternative to TeamViewer that describes itself as one of the fastest and most secure remote desktop applications on the market. Not wanting to dent its aspiration of being top of its class, we have to say that Splashtop is indeed a dependable app, but not one of the best.
With Splashtop, you will be able to access your PC’s desktop from several types of platforms, including, but not limited to, Windows, Mac, Android, iPhone, and Kindle Fire. Some of the most outstanding features of Splashtop Remote Desktop is the ability to view and edit in real-time pdfs or Word Documents, or to use Internet browsers like Chrome, Internet Explorer, and Firefox.
Another interesting feature offered by Splashtop is the ability to play movies and even PC games in high resolution and at 30 frames per second.
- Free to use on local network;
- Instant access to your home computer from anywhere in the world;
- Powerful FPT – you can transfer files and folders in just a couple of seconds;
- Encrypted connections and transfers;
- Has commercial and non-commercial plans;
- Easy to set up on any PC;
- Custom shortcuts and gamepad support;
- Computer grouping;
- Computer list search.
Splashtop Plans and Pricing
This TeamViewer alternative offers personal, business, enterprise, and classroom plans. Here’s an overview of what this remote desktop app offers:
- HD performance and sound;
- Cross-platform support;
- Top-notch security: TLS with 256-bit AES encryption, lock screen, blank screen, request permission and more;
- Remote Print;
- FPT support;
- Multi-user management;
- Wake on LAN;
- Computer grouping and more.
You can get more info on their pricing on the Splashtop download page.
- State-of-the-art security protocols;
- HD support across multiple platforms;
- Great pricing for personal and business versions;
- Gaming support;
- No drag-and-drop features;
- Consumes a lot of memory resources;
- The installation process is a bit difficult.
X2Go is a remote access software that gives you instant access to machines running Linux, Mac OSX, and Windows by using an RDP solution. Compared to more professional approaches like TeamViewer or Splashtop; X2Go is more personal and developer-oriented.
The greatest thing about this remote desktop app is that it can be improved any time since the publishers had the courtesy of including X2Go’s source code in the software’s pack. This means that you can tweak all you want with a little bit of coding know-how and a lot of spare time on your hands.
X2GO was designed to work with machines running Linux, but it doesn’t back down when it comes to Macs or PCs. The best thing about using X2Go as your remote desktop app is that you will get an amazing depiction of a desktop, thanks to its No Machine NX3 technology graphical engine. You can download this remote access software on the X2Go download page.
- Can work great on both low and high bandwidth connections;
- Has sound support;
- FTP support;
- Printer sharing functions;
- Can work with multiple desktop environments;
- Supports unlimited simultaneous connections;
- Runs in real-time;
- Can work with any version of Linux, Windows, and Mac;
- Can be modded;
- Support an unlimited number of connections.
- Difficult to set up and to deploy;
- No Android or iOS support;
- No Drag-and-drop features;
- After five connections, the app becomes buggy.
4. Real VNC
Real VNC is a wonder on its own, without having to enumerate any of its functions and features. Built on top of one of the most versatile SDKs on the market, this remote access software is the best choice when it comes to productivity tools.
This TeamViewer alternative has everything it could possibly need: the brains, the brawns and the determination to innovate everything involving working with multiple desktops over a secure remote connection. What we’ve liked about Real VNC is that it is so easy to use. You just have to download the Real VNC software and client, and you’re ready to go.
Here are some other features of Real VNC that put this RD app in front of its competitors:
- Fully secured connections: 256-AES and 2048-bit RSA key;
- High transmission speed thanks to VNC’s own algorithms;
- Business and personal plans available;
- Customizable interface;
- Connect multiple devices toVNC, including smart cars;
- Available on multiple platforms including Windows, Mac OSX, Linux, Raspberry Pi, Solaris, HP-UX, and AIX.
- Unbeatable connection speed compared to its major competitors;
- 1:1 desktop representation;
- FPT and Printer sharing functions available;
- Fully scalable desktop.
- FPT is slow;
- Windows XP support is still buggy;
- Unexpected crash and freeze issues.
5. Remote Utilities
Remote Utilities is a free-to-use remote desktop application which lets users access remote desktops over a secured connection. This application was specifically designed for IT professionals: it has a highly configurable SDK, which is lite and very easy to deploy on any machine.
As a TeamViewer alternative, Remote Utilities offers around the clock access to various work stations, power control functions like shutdown remotely, reboot remotely, wake on LAN, lock computer and set computer into sleep mode.
Furthermore, the Remote Utilities client also has a firewall bypass feature which allows users to connect to other computers just by knowing their IDs and passwords. You can download this software from the Remote Utilities home page.
- Mobile support: Android and iOS versions are available;
- MSI Config and deployment;
- ADS support;
- Proxy server;
- Connect through host;
- Remote access to the Internet
- RD over LAN;
- FTP support;
- Full control: virtual keyboard, mouse, keystrokes and multi-touch gestures;
- Video and voice chat;
- Remote webcam;
- Drag-and-drop support is available.
As far as security is concerned, Remote Utilities uses RSA 2048 and AES 256 encryption keys in order to secure all ongoing or incoming connections. Furthermore, extra layers of security can be added on demand like UAC support, IP filtering, Windows security support, Ask permission, and Host authority.
- Free to use;
- Great number of features;
- File Transfer is fast.
- The program doesn’t remember settings after not being used for a long time.
6. Royal TS
As a TeamViewer alternative, Royal TS is a strong competitor. Compared to other products that only let you manage just one remote desktop, Royal TS will allow you to work with 5 or more desktops at the same time.
Moreover, Royal TS is not limited to Windows. This means that during the same RC session, you will be able to manage and work with devices running Windows, Mac OSX, and Android. Also, the desktop manager has an intuitive layout, neatly organized so that you can perform any kind of task with the utmost speed.
Royal TS is all about speed and optimization, which means that you won’t find any unnecessary functions inside the manager.
Royal TS Key Features:
- Intuitive dashboard that displays documents, folders, connections, tasks, and connections;
- Powerful collaboration features;
- Seamless OS integration;
- SSH Tunneling feature available;
- Scripting Support;
- Tight Security;
- Endless number of customizable functions;
- Team sharing functions.
- Cross-platform compatibility;
- High speed connections;
- Over-the-web access;
- Customizable functions;
- Dashboard management.
- Hard to install;
- No drag-and-drop features;
- Difficult to use.
7. Jump Desktop
Prepare to jump from desktop to desktop with the swiftness of a professional athlete with this new application which makes multiple desktop management seem like a breeze. Fire up your favorite apps, movies, and tune on your computer from the comfort of your own couch.
As a TeamViewer alternative, Jump Desktop is more than enough to tackle all your remote desktop-related needs. Navigate to your favorite folders using the on-screen virtual desktop, open and edit MS documents, add external audio and video devices using the app’s HDMI and VGA support or take control of any Mac and Android workspaces.
- Multi-touch support;
- Easy copy-paste functions;
- Gorgeous interface;
- Supports Mac OSX, iOS and Windows;
- Live Preview available;
- Stylus support available;
- All-in-one installation package;
- Real-time syncing function;
- Multi-mon technology available;
- Supports International keyboards;
- Over RDP audio and video streaming available.
- Great cross-platforming capabilities;
- A+ for security;
- Easy to use.
- Touch screen gestures bug not fixed.
8. iTeleport VNC
Prepare to jump board and beam into any device, with iTeleport VNC; the ultimate Mac slash iOS slash Android remote desktop application. Still wandering about what’s it like to work with a PC? Well, now you can unlock the full potential of any PC or Android device from the comfort of your Mac or iOS device.
You can use iTeleport VNC to access any type of Windows version and Android. Furthermore, you can edit and create documents in real time, listen to music, play games, transfer files, and folders, and much more.
- Use Photoshop to enhance pictures;
- True HD graphics;
- Access your computer from everywhere;
- Easy installation wizard;
- Flash-compatible browser;
- Multi-touch support;
- Can function as a remote control for Smart Gadgets like TVs, thermostats, and more.
iTeleport Pros & Cons
- Gorgeous UI;
- Fast connections;
- Supports lots of applications;
- Can double up as a remote control;
- Can stream music and video.
- No collaboration features;
Welcome to your very own Remote Command Center, the place where you can monitor, control and manage all your computers. With just one click you can monitor system metrics, quickly change system configuration, boot on LAN, create and edit documents, create virtual workspaces and even more.
As a TeamViewer alternative, RemoteToPC is the most professional solution on the market. Furthermore, as far as remote control desktop apps go, RemoteToPC is more tailored to large business enterprises than to home computers.
- Remote PC monitoring;
- Critical System alerts;
- Affordable business plans;
- Firewall exceptions;
- On-screen PC metrics.
RemoteToPC Pros & Cons
- Instant remote access to all computers;
- Advanced admin functions;
- Intuitive interface;
- One-key PC metrics display.
- Not designed for beginners;
- Only works with 10+ computers.
Meet Mikogo, the first ever remote control application that lets your work with your Mac, PC, Linux, Android or iPad device directly from a browser. What it means is that you won’t need to download any desktop clients or to do additional tweaking.
From the moment you create your first account, Mikogo will display step-by-step instructions on how to unleash the raw power of this amazing remote desktop platform.
As an alternative to TeamViewer, you will be able to remote control your favorite smart devices, switch persons during video meetings, use a virtual whiteboard and multi-monitors, transfer files and folders, and record your sessions.
- True cross-platforming features;
- Session scheduler;
- Profile manager;
- Chat support;
- VoIP support;
- Real-time display;
- Media streaming.
Mikogo Pros & Cons
- Runs from any browser;
- Remote control features;
- Supports up to 25 participants in a real-time conference.
- You can only transfer files up to 200 MB;
- Limited Mac functionality.
This concludes our list of the best alternatives to TeamViewer. Keep in mind that when choosing a TeamViewer alternative you’ll have to maintain that balance between security and functionality.