*This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Windows Movie Maker is an application designed to help compile, edit, add effects, music and share home movies. The Windows Movie Maker download is currently free and can be used on any device that operates on the windows platform. Here’s a guide for how to download Windows Movie Maker 12, its latest version.
Windows Movie Maker Download for Windows
1. Open a browser on your computer and go to the Windows Movie Maker download page.
2. Click on ‘Get It Now’. A window will pop up asking what you want to do with the download. Click ‘Save’ to download Windows Movie Maker.
3. In your ‘Downloads’ folder or from the downloads icon in your browser, click on the Movie Maker document.
4. Click ‘Yes’ to any changes the application asks to make to your computer.
5. When the changes are complete, restart your computer.
6. Open a browser on your computer and go back to the aforementioned download page.
7. Click on ‘Get It Now’. A window will pop up asking what you want to do with the download. Again, click ‘Save’ to download Windows Movie Maker.
8. A window will pop up. Click on the option to ‘Install All of Windows Essentials’. You can also opt to only install parts of the Essentials package, but for optimum functionality you should try to install everything. A progress bar will pop up as it installs. When the installation is complete, a window will pop up. Click ‘Done’. The program is now ready for use.
Windows Movie Maker Download for Mac
Windows Movie Maker operates on the Windows platform, so it is not available for Mac computers. iMovie is an application that comes pre-installed on Mac computers and is comparable to Windows Movie Maker.
Wondershare Video Editor is another alternative to Windows Movie Maker. You can find a free trial at www.windowsmoviemakerformac.com.
1. From the website, click on the hyperlink ‘Get A Free Trial Now’. A window will pop up asking what you want to do with the application. Click ‘Save’.
2. When it finishes downloading, a window will pop up instructing you to drag and drop ‘Wondershare Filmora’ into your applications folder. You can do this from the open window. Once you have done that, the application will install onto your hard drive and immediately be ready for use.
Be advised that the full Wondershare application is not free. If you wish to purchase it, you can do so from the Mac App Store.
Another option is the Filmora Video Editor:
1. From the App Store search ‘Filmora Video Editor’.
2. Double-click on the icon.
3. Click ‘Buy App’, then enter your Apple ID. The application will download automatically and be ready for use.
The Microsoft website states that support for this edition of Windows Movie Maker will no longer be available as of January 10, 2017. A new edition is presumably on the horizon, but Microsoft has not offered a release date. The magic of Movie Maker is just a few clicks away. Get started and soon you’ll have amazing movies to share.