Skype is one of the most popular telecommunications applications to provide voice calls and video chats. When calling someone on Skype, you might need to mute that person for a while. Excess noise might make it difficult for you to hear the other person properly, in which case muting them is a good temporary solution. This article shows you how to mute someone on Skype, on both Windows computers and Macs, as well as the Skype iOS and Android application.
How to Mute Someone on Skype for Windows
Follow the steps below to mute someone on Skype for Windows.
- Open the Skype application by going to the Windows/Start menu.
- Sign into your account, if you are not already signed in.
- Go to “Contacts.”
- Click on the contact you’d like to call.
- In the open conversation box, click the call button.
- Wait for the contact to answer.
- When they do, click the microphone icon. This will mute the call.
- To unmute it, click the icon again.
How to Mute Someone on Skype for Mac
Follow the steps below to learn how to mute someone on Skype for Mac.
- Open the Skype app by going to your Applications folder.
- If you are not signed in yet, input your credentials to do so.
- Click “Contacts.”
- Select the contact you want to call.
- Click the call button when the conversation box opens.
- When the contact answers, click the microphone icon to mute the call.
- If you want to unmute it, click the icon again.
How to Mute Someone on Skype for iOS
The steps below will show you how to mute someone on Skype using the Skype iOS app.
- Download the Skype app on iTunes.
- After installing it on your device, open it.
- Log in using your email and password or username and phone number.
- Tap “Contacts.”
- Tap on the contact you want to call.
- Tap the call or video call icon.
- Tap the center of your phone’s screen to reveal the call icons.
- Tap the microphone icon.
- When you are ready to unmute the call, tap this icon again.
How to Mute Someone on Skype for Android
In the section below, we will show you how to mute someone on Skype for devices that use Android.
- Go to the Google Play Store and download the Skype app.
- Open the app once you’ve installed it.
- Sign into your account following the prompts on the screen.
- Tap the “Contacts” icon to open the address book.
- Tap a contact to start a call with them.
- Tap the call icon in the open conversation.
- Once the contact answers, tap the microphone icon to mute the call.
- To unmute it, tap the same icon again.
How to Mute Someone on Skype – Conclusion
If you have other issues with Skype calls and adjusting the settings of a call, we refer you to the official Skype Call and video settings page. Be sure to raise any questions you come up with as you learn how to mute someone on Skype down below.
Recommended read: How to Delete My Skype Account